Monday, October 24, 2011

Opinions Needed

Ok, so since I started making jewelry again earlier this summer, my husband Finau has been harassing me to make him a necklace.  I have put it off this long for several reasons.  They are (in no particular order of importance):

1.  My jewelry style is decidedly girly.  I've never designed jewelry with a mens audience in mind, and I don't really have a good sense of what will look appropriate.

2.  Finau is a harsh critic when things don't measure up to his standards.  For my own mental health and in order to avoid what I perceive to be an inevitable argument since I admittedly don't really know how to design mens jewelry, I've avoided making him a necklace.

3.  Finau doesn't wear jewelry.  Ever.  Therefore, I have no idea what he might like.  Additionally, when I ASKED him what he wanted, HE didn't even know what he might want.  He gives me the "just make me something you think I would like" routine.  Great...I'm envisioning myself handing him the necklace and having him say, "SERIOUSLY??!!  You REALLY though I would like THIS??!!"

So, I've been really apprehensive about making anything for him.  However, this morning I woke up and decided to at least TRY to come up with something he'd like.  I figured I might as well try to come up with a few masculine pieces to put in my Etsy shop before the holiday season anyway...you never know who might be looking for a gift for a brother or boyfriend or something like that.  The piece I made this morning is kind of an abstract cursive "F" in hammered metal with a single greenish stone, attached to a thin double leather cord.  I would love to hear what you guys think about it.  Specifically, I need to know if the "F" initial idea is too girly, if the actual design is masculine enough, if I should lose the stone bead or keep it, and if you have any other ideas about how I can improve it.  If you think the whole design should be scrapped, please let me know what you think might work better.  My feelings will not be nearly as hurt by you guys critiquing it as they will be if Finau shoots me down, so please be honest (but kind!).  Ok...here it is (I'm inwardly cringing...I don't know why this freaks me out so much, but even just posting it on here is giving me anxiety!  Hahaha)





WELL?????????

3 comments:

Loma said...

It does look a little on the feminine side. He might like something more solid/thicker. Maybe more stones? Even a bit larger... perhaps adding something sentimental like a stone representing each child? Anyways, just some ideas. =)

Kalani said...

Thanks Loma...I'm going to start working on round 2! :)

KathyDeon said...

I like it. I don't see the F, but I like it. I also think you should add another strand so that the "chain" part is thicker.